Sunday, August 14, 2011

..is the latest book I've read. It took me 2 months to actually finish this one which is so not like me.You see, if I like a book a lot I do my best to finish it in one reading. Otherwise, I put it down..never to be opened and read again.

So what's with this book?? Why the heck did i keep coming back to it for 2 months??

Reason 1: It was summer. I read during summers, no matter what.
Reason 2: We don't have internet yet so there's nothing to occupy me when I'm home.
Reason 3: The only other worth-reading book I have in my room is 'Anne of Green Gables' which I already read twice last year.
Reason 4: It's actually an interesting book.
Reason 5: Ditto.

Now on to the book..

It's a story of resilience. Sorta like Charles Darwin's Survival of the Fittest theory.

There's this Chinese guy, Wang Lung, who has a piece of land he religiously cultivated and revered. The land became his life. It was able to sustain his entire family through the hardest and most difficult ordeal: drought, floods, famine and revolution.

It's also a story of O-Lan's sacrifices - the sacrifice of a mother and a wife.

I'm not gonna make a full review of the book here so in summary, it's a good book bound to make any reader appreciate life beyond its trivialities.

1 comments:

Xan said...

I have a copy of The Good Earth (courtesy of Jonas) but haven't got to reading it, yet. I may be saving it for the summer too (as to what summer year, I cannot tell), Hihi

btw, thanks for including me on your blog roll >:)

Post a Comment

 

Copyright 2010 ..

Theme by WordpressCenter.com.
Blogger Template by Beta Templates.